This right here, ladies and gentlemen, is a delicious exercise in flavor-layering. Peppery arugula, salty prosciutto, sweet plums, and a homemade, mustard-kissed vinaigrette blend together beautifully with every bite. It's simple and savory and ever so sweet in one brilliantly colored salad.
Exercise your creative muscle, too, by tailoring the recipe to your particular tastes: Substitute pancetta, bacon, or even a very thinly sliced ham for the prosciutto we suggest. Then, switch out the plum for the fruit of the season; fresh figs, halved grapes, and diced pears would all be delicious in this mix.
1. Spread the prosciutto onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet and bake in a 400-degree oven for 5-10 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy. Remove from the oven and let cool.
2. While the prosciutto cools, wash your arugula and dice the plums.
3. In a small, resealable plastic bag combine the vinegar, oil, mustard, salt and pepper. Close carefully and shake together until emulsified into dressing.
4. Just before serving, combine the arugula and plums in a giant mixing bowl. Generously spoon over the balsamic vinaigrette, crumble all but one slice of the prosciutto, and toss everything together.
5. Plate the salads and finish by garnishing with the last slice of prosciutto crumbled on top of them.