Welcome fall with this slightly sweet layering of textures and autumnal flavors. Serve it up for brunch this morning, just as we've designed it below.
Or, adjust the proportions of yogurt and cream to equal amounts, and offer it up as dessert. You might even assemble one large parfait in a trifle bowl and finish with toasted sliced almonds or pine nuts for extra flourish.
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Roughly chop the apples into large chunks. Place in a small roasting pan and top with the pats of butter and sprinkle of salt. Cover with foil and place in the oven to cook until almost tender.
3. In a bowl, combine the oats, honey, oil, Chinese Five Spice, and a hearty pinch of salt. Toss together and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
4. Place the granola in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Once it starts becoming golden brown, remove from the oven and toss. Return to the oven and cook in 5 minute increments, until all of the oats are golden brown and crispy.
5. While everything is baking, whip the cream to stiff peaks using a hand mixer or a stand mixer with the whisk attachment.
6. In the mixing bowl, fold the yogurt and honey into the whipped cream. Transfer to a large plastic bag and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
7. When you are ready, garnish the bottom of a bowl with the homemade granola. Cut the bottom corner tip off the plastic bag and pipe some of the yogurt on top of the granola. Spoon over the warm apples and repeat the layers until the bowl is filled.