These crisp, homemade crackers are made extra special with the first tender leaves of spring's herbs rolled right in. Smeared with a spoonful of savory Rhubarb Jam
, they make for a simple appetizer, and an everyday snack that feels like a splurge.
Master this recipe the first time you make it, and play with it every time after that. Substitute cracked black pepper, chopped rosemary, coarse salt, caraway or poppy seeds, or lemon zest for the thyme in the cracker.
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.4. Next, transfer the dough to a hard surface and roll to a 1/8-inch thickness. (You may roll it even thinner; the thinner the cracker, the faster they will cook and the crispier they will be.) Using a pizza cutter, slice the dough into ribbons and then into squares.
2. In a mixing bowl whisk together the flour, salt, sugar, and fresh thyme. In a separate bowl combine the water and olive oil.
3. Using a wooden spoon, add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir. Once everything is combined, use your hands to knead the dough together.
5. Transfer the squares to a cookie sheet and place in the oven to cook for 8-10 minutes. When the crackers are golden brown and crispy, remove from the oven and let cool.
6. Store cooled crackers in an air-tight container on your counter top.