1. Prep your vegetables: Peel and chop the potatoes and spread in a large pot. Roughly chop the carrots, onion and celery and add to the same pot. Add the fresh thyme to the pot and cover all of the vegetables with the broth -- 4-8 cups, as much as it takes to completely cover all the vegetables..
2. Bring the stove top to high heat and cook until the vegetables are tender and the broth has reduced enough that you can see them.
3. Remove the thyme, and blend the soup to a smooth consistency with an immersion blender or food processor; return to the pot and stir in the milk, cream, and garam masala.
4. Taste and season with salt, pepper, and cayenne to your liking. Let simmer for 20 more minutes before serving.
5. To garnish, tear the outermost leaves off of the Brussels sprouts and place in a bowl. Toss with freshly squeezed orange juice, salt and pepper. Sprinkle each bowl of soup with the leaves and some chopped almonds.