1. Fill a large pot halfway full with oil and bring to high heat, or until it reaches 325 degrees.
2. Halve the sausages and skewer them.
3. Combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and pepper. In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, Dijon mustard, and egg. Next, stir the two together.
4. Once the oil is hot enough, dip the sausages in the batter. Slowly drop the sausage into the oil so the oil doesn't splash. Let cook 2-3 minutes, or until the batter is golden brown and crispy.
5. Remove from the oil, let cool for a minute or two on a paper towel, and then serve while still hot and crispy.
Tips + Tricks
**To make it easier to completely surround the sausage, transfer the batter to a tall glass. Fill it only 2/3 of the way and dunk the skewered sausage in the glass.
**Especially if you are using a variety of different sausages in the same batch, do not dip the entire sausage in the batter so you can differentiate the flavors.