May 14, 2018 at 05:00PM Twitter Chat - #FNIchat #TwitterChat Visit https://t.co/IrsjE1hjIO for more events.
Answer the call of summer-like temperatures with this citrus-kissed sundae recipe, inspired by a classic key lime pie. It's the perfect way to wrap an outdoor dinner party -- or an extra long workday. Keep all of the elements on hand for last-minute layering whenever it sounds good.
Yield: 12 sundaes , Prep time: 15 minutes , Cook time: 1 hour
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Using your stand mixer, cream together the 1.5 cups butter and 3 cups sugar. Next, add the 5 eggs one at a time until they are completely incorporated. Stir in the vanilla extract and orange zest.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the baking powder, 1/2 tsp. salt, and flour. Alternating the dry and the wet, add the flour and milk to the butter mixture.
4. Finally, spread the batter into a 13”x9” greased tin and then into the oven for 1 hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
5. While the cake is baking, prepare the lime curd: In a small pot combine the 3 eggs, 3/4 cup sugar, lime juice, lime zest, and pinch of salt. Whisk together and bring to medium heat.
6. Stir together until the sauce has started to thicken. When it coats the back of your spoon, reduce the heat and stir in the 4 tbsp. butter.
7. Once the butter has melted and the curd is still hot, pour through a fine mesh sieve to catch any lumps. Transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator.
8. Turn the cake and curd into sundaes by cutting the cake into 24 equal squares. Crumble one square into the bottom of a bowl. Top with ice cream, lime curd, and toasted walnuts. Repeat with another layer each of crumbled cake, ice cream, curd, and nuts, and serve right away.