Here, for you, dear fa-la-la-la-friend, is THE recipe you'll need for gifting the whole of the holiday season. Bake several batches of this bourbon-kissed cake, wrap tightly, pop into the fridge, and pull as needed for all the hosts and guests in your life right now. Add a bow for polish -- or a complimentary bottle of bourbon for anyone who's been especially nice.
Then, park yourself under the mistletoe to accept all the smooches coming your way.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a stand mixer, with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter, shortening and sugar to a uniform consistency.
3. With the stand mixer still going on low, add the eggs, one at a time. Once all the eggs are added, stop the stand mixer and scrape down the sides, and stir together again.
4. In a bowl, combine the flour, salt, and baking powder. In another bowl, combine the milk and vanilla. With the stand mixer on low speed, add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the butter. Next, add 1/2 of the milk, followed by another 1/3 of the flour, the remaining milk and finally the remaining flour.
5. Grease and flour a 9"x13" brownie pan. Spread your batter into the pan. Sprinkle the pecans over top of the batter.
6. Place in the oven and bake for 1 - 1 1/2 hours, until the center of the cake is set. While the cake is cooking, combine the bourbon and molasses in a small sauce pot over medium-low heat. Whisk together and set aside.
7. When the cake is finished cooking, remove from the oven. While the cake is still warm, pour the molasses sauce over the cake and let it soak in.
Tips + Tricks
**This can be made a couple days in advance and kept in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve. Let cool completely and wrap well before refrigerating.
**If you do not want to use alcohol, you can use molasses and a 1/2 cup of water to loosen up the molasses. If you feel like it needs more flavor, substitute cola or root beer for the bourbon.